Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Coach Carter


I watched the movie in the Movie English class. "Coach Carter" is based on the true story of a Richmond High School basketball coach who tries to effect positive change in a group of student athletes who have given up hope on creating a successful future.

Coach Carter accomplished positive change. I think that he hope for student's entrance into a school of higher grade and they want to let them graduate. Coach Carter is very severe about education. The student's results were bad. So he blocked the gymnasium.  

At the beginning of the basketball season he gets his players to sign a contract. It is "You will maintain a 2.3 grade point average. You will attend all your classes and you will sit in the front row of those classes. They gotta wear coat and ties on game days.” I think that he teach common sense so as not to do the thought that their embarrassed when they become a working member of society sometime. If you become a member of society, you must wear tidy clothes and you must keep the appointment.
I agree him, because he becomes kind and thinks about their future. I think that he is very strict, but the strictness has the kindness. If I was a player, first has a doubt in this method, but I'd feel teacher's eagerness and agree. There will be few teachers thinking about students.

When he found out that over half of his team was failing he suspended all practice sessions and forfeited the following games.
 I think that they have to study for the future. Carter Coach says “These boys are student athletes. “Student” comes first.” When I was a high school student, I was in the club like them. I wanted to concentrate on club activities, but I had to study to decide my course. I think the meaning of the  “student-athlete” to be “the person who can balance both the study and the sports.” It is “Bunburyoudo” in Japanese. I agree, because the word shows the study and the sport. They can’t appear in the society only by basketball. So the coach suspended all practice sessions and forfeited the following games.

At various times throughout the movie, he asks Cruz who is a student,"What is your deepest fear young man?"
I think that the question is very difficult. Cruz says “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.” It is very abstract. I think that he is worried about the future and he is afraid to be confronted with the anxiety. So he is absent from a class and always plays basketball. I think that Coach Carter saw through the anxiety that he had. 

At the end of the movie during the locker room scene Coach Carter tells his team that he failed to meet his objectives for the basketball season.
I think that, they lost a game, but they developed as a person. For example, they came to keep a promise, and they became strong in a bond between the groups. Furthermore, their results became very good. Coach Carter says “I had come to teach basketball to boys, but you became the "student". As for me, these words are impressive.

[548 words/14418 words]









No comments:

Post a Comment